Tarlton, Washington University Convert Old Shriners Hospital Into Apartments

By on August 30, 2018

From St. Louis Post-Dispatch:  St. Louis-based construction firm Tarlton Corp. has finished a $28 million rehab of the former Shriners Hospital for Children and Central Institute for the Deaf into the 160-unit Core Apartment Residences.

The apartments, on Euclid Avenue in the Central West End, are owned by a Washington University development arm, which got the buildings placed on the National Register of Historic Places to qualify for historic tax credits.

The two buildings were designed by celebrated St. Louis architect William B. Ittner in the Renaissance Revival style. The 78,000 square-foot Shriners Hospital was constructed in 1924 and was the largest in a national network of free hospitals created by The Shriners fraternal society to treat disabled children. The 51,000 square-foot Central Institute for the Deaf, founded by Dr. Max Aaron Goldstein, opened in 1929 as a school for deaf children and to train teachers in deaf education.

Read more.

 

About Dede Hance